• 14/06/2024

    Jose Juan Morales: "ANCCE has reached a turning point that will define the sector’s future”

    General Assembly ratifies all 2023 decisions and approved the 2024 budget.

    The 34th edition of SICAB will be from the 19th to the 24th of November in Sevilla.

    The 51st General Assembly of the Royal Purebred Spanish Horse Breeders’ Association (ANCCE) was held Friday morning in the city of Sevilla. Member ratified the various points on the agenda, including those refereeing to actions carried out in 2023, the 2023 annual accounts, approved the 2024 budget, which amounts to five million euros, and the agreements adopted by the Board of Directors.

    Jose Juan Morales, the President of ANCCE, began his speech by expressing his appreciation for the confidence that breeders have shown in this common project over the past decades. “Your support and commitment are essential for the undertaking and success of our initiatives. Thanks to your joint collaboration and efforts, we have attained major goals while continuing to move forward to strengthen our breeder community”.

    Morales made special mention that “ANCCE is a healthy Association with its own resources, thus making it the figurehead for breeder associations in Spain”. He also noted that this year, SICAB will be held from the 19th to the 24th of November in Sevilla.

    He continued his presentation by reviewing the various innovations within the Association, sports and improvements that have significantly contributed to the growth and strengthening of the breed and the entire sector. “Above all else, (it is) the work carried out by the Molecular Genetics Laboratory, which is a reference for other animal species and well-known equine breeds such as the KWPN. Undoubtedly, this is one of the most exciting ANCCE-led challenges”.

    Morales concluded his speech by underlining the educational project that is being developed with the university Universidad Fernando III (CEU), which is something that the sector has been demanding in recent years.

    Finally, he underscored the importance of unity and collaboration within the sector. “Together we achieve much more. It is crucial that we maintain open, direct and constructive communication when seeking common goals, to guarantee that ANCCE continues to be a world reference in equine breeding”.

    With regards to the Purebred Spanish Horse Stud Book (LG PRE ANCCE), the Annual Report given by Director Arancha Rodriguez pointed out that in 2023, a total of 136,402 new Purebred Spanish foals were recorded in the Birth Register (6,553 colts and 6,849 fillies). This is a 6.3% increase over the previous year’s statistics. Some 2,850 new stud farms were also registered. Thus, the breed census as of December 31, 2023 stood at 282,066 horses (139,273 mares and 142,793 stallions), belonging to 48,365 active stud farms in 67 countries. PRE Horses represent 70% of all horses registered in Spain. Of the newly registered stud farms, 43% are located outside of Spain, with the USA, Italy and Germany topping the ranking. The other 57% are in Spain, with the region of Andalusian leading the list (43%), followed by Catalonia, Castilla y Leon.

    Lastly, the Assembly appointed Alfonso del Castillo—renowned Conformation Judge, and Mexican PRE breeder Gabriel Posadas as the 2024 Honorary Members.

  • Source — ANCCE — 14/06/2024