In 2019, the PRE Stud Book registered more than 12,000 horses, and almost 3000 new Purebred Spanish Horse Breeders
Last year, the PRE Stud Book (LG PRE ANCCE) registered 12,360 new Purebred Spanish Horses (PRE) in its Birth Register (6074 colts and 6286 fillies). This is an 11% increase over 2018. Thus, the breed census as of December 31st (2019) was 252,852 horses (125,842 stallions and 127,010 mares) from 38,479 active stud farms in 66 different countries. This too is a 3% increase over the previous year.
Of the new breeders registered, 42% are from outside Spain—mostly Germany, USA and Italy. The other 58% are from Spain, with Andalusia accounting for 45%, followed by Castilla-Leon, and Madrid.
Regarding other services offered by the LG PRE ANCCE Stud Book office, 4,639 revisions for Basic Breeding Stock were carried out, and 9,261 changes of ownership were processed. In terms of the changes of ownership abroad, most were from the USA, followed by breeders in Germany, Mexico and Italy.
The revision trips abroad throughout 2019 are especially noteworthy, as LG PRE ANCCE Stud Book authorized veterinarians travelled to 23 countries, including Russia, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Morocco, Honduras, among others. This goes to show the good results of promotional efforts carried over the past few years to universalize the breed.
Likewise, throughout the year, both ANCCE and the LG PRE ANCCE Stud Book have participated in trade fairs and conventions, have provided breeders and enthusiasts with training courses in addition to holding meetings with authorized veterinarians and international associations collaborating with ANCCE to refresh and discuss the newest management procedures. In November of 2019, coinciding with SICAB (the International PRE Trade Fair), the annual training course was held for all collaborating associations in Europe.
The LG PRE ANCCE Stud Book, upon concluding the February audit, renewed its Quality Certification based on UNE-EN ISO 9001:2015 standards; once again, this certifies the correct and effective implementation of a quality system. This is but confirmation of the excellent work carried out, which in turn, translates as greater efficiency and improved services offered to Purebred Spanish Horse breeders throughout the world.
PRE BREEDING PROGRAM
Thanks to the efforts invested in the PRE Breeding Program for more than fifteen years, the Stud Book web site published 149,998 genetic assessments for conformation traits for Dressage, and 14,739 for Dressage in 2019. Moreover, a list of the 100 best horses (stallions and mares) has been published. This list is based on their genetic index for Dressage and conformation traits for Dressage.
From the private zone on the LG PRE ANCCE Stud Book web site, a breeder may consult and download an Excel file with all available genetic values for any horse registered on his/her stud farm. This facilitates the task for breeders when designing coverings while at the same time advancing in the selection of horses for Dressage and conformation traits for Dressage.
This valuable information is all available to breeders free of charge. The same holds true for the content of the Catalog of PRE Breeding Stock, which is a very useful tool that contributes to spreading the genetic improvement of PRE Horses to increase the genetic progress of future generations, as productivity is as important for stud farms as having a competitive edge to guarantee feasibility.